Coco Chanel was a person who shaped the fashion world. She was born Gabrielle Bonheur Chanel in 1883’s France. She was one of the designers that liberated women from the corset prison, gave them more confidence and power.
We all probably know by now (from the many biography books and movies) that her life wasn’t that simple. After her mother’s death she was put in an orphanage, where she learnt how to sew. She had a brief career as a singer, a period where the name Coco was born (apparently coming from a song she used to sing).
Here are some other 5 interesting facts about miss Coco Chanel:
- Her favorite and lucky number was 5, therefor the Chanel no. 5 name (which interesting enough was released on the 5th day of the 5th month).
- She made popular being tanned. After returning tanned from a holiday in Cannes, she enchanted everyone with her look, and given she was quite a trend-setter at the time, the trend started to catch on easily.
- She introduced jersey fabric to womenswear, a fabric that prior to this was only used to create men’s undergarments.
- She had a thing for pockets, including them in her collections in any ways possible.
- She is the one that gave black elegance. Before her black was only seen as a color of mourning, but along with the little black dress and many others, black was seen as a color for elegance.